Volunteer with Dolphins
Experience the incredible feeling of working with one of the world’s most intelligent creatures - Dolphins!
Venture to Western Australia where you will have a chance to swim with these amazing creatures while working towards a worthwhile cause of increasing public awareness of these dolphins and other marine life! This leads to the protection of the species. This is perfect for those who have a love for dolphins and marine life and have a passion for protecting these amazing species.
The Dolphin Program is a popular project with hundreds being attracted to the project each year. The project gets alot of returning volunteers each year as well.
For a minimum of six weeks you will volunteer and live locally where you will help with the Conservation, Education, Tourism and Research of the local bottlenose dolphins!
You'll get to meet volunteers and tourists from all over the world on a daily basis and create long lasting friendships.
If you are looking for a unique volunteering opportunity which is fun while contributing towards a worthwhile cause then this project is perfect for you!
You may be trained as a swim tour guide or talk to visitors from all over the world about the program and these amazing creatures. You'll also learn about the life of the bottlenose dolphins. The beach is just two minutes away from the project and is perfect for relaxing on your time off.
Apply now so you don’t miss the opportunity to have a fantastic volunteer experience!
Dolphin Conservation Highlights
- Live and volunteer with one of the world’s most intelligent creatures; Dolphins!
- Great opportunity to live in Australia for 8-12 weeks where the sun shines alot
- Meet people from all over the world and work with friendly team.
- Act as a tour guide and have a chance to swim with the dolphins!
Year round however to get the most out of your volunteer experience we suggest you go between October and April.
Location & Getting There
You can fly to Perth in Western Australia then take a 2 hour bus/train journey south to the project location. The bus will take you to the local Visitor Centre which is five minutes walk from your accommodation. You can either ask for directions at the centre or you can use a map.
- Minimum of 6 weeks. The maximum duration is unlimited.
- Average Work hours: You will be required to volunteer 5 days a week and for a minimum of 4 hours a day.
- Number of Volunteers: 30
- Internet Access: Available
You will stay in a dorm room at a hostel which is approximately 15 minute walk to the project. You will have access to unlimited wifi, a fully equipped kitchen, a pool table, mini basketball court, hammocks, coin operated laundry and a BBQ area. Linens will also be provided and the beach and the city is just a few minutes’ walk away.
What is this project looking for?
Individuals who do not only wish to swim with dolphins but have a passion for protecting dolphins and other marine life. Helping to raise public awareness for the amazing creatures will be one of your main tasks so you must have good communication skills.
- Placement at the Dolphin Conservation Project
Accommodation in Dorm rooms in a hostel that is a fifteen minutes’ walk away from the project.
Meals - Meals will be provided. You also have access to a fully equipped kitchen where you can also prepare your own meals. There is always fresh bread to make a quick sandwich.
- Airport Pick up & drop off. You will make your way from the airport by bus or train for a two hours’ journey south to the project.
- Ongoing service - If there are any problems with your volunteer project we are always there to help you and mediate between yourself and the project.
- Tours - Through IWH you have the possibility to book tours in Australia after you have finished your volunteer project.
- 24/7 Emergency contact - If there are any problems during your stay in Australia you can reach our partners 24/7 to assist you.
What's not included
Flights, Insurance, travel to the project from Perth, Cost of T-Shirt for AUS$25, Donation of AUS$50 towards the Dolphin Conservation Program
What you'll be doing
- Managing the Dolphin Program Room area.
- Assist with research and record observations in the bay
- Enter found data into databases for analysis
- Assist and monitor dolphin visits to the zone
- Communicate with tourists/visitors on the beach about the Dolphins and what the program is about
- Help with caring and maintaining of Aquariums.
- Help with the general cleaning and maintenance at the project.
- Act as tour guides at the Interpretive Centre for the public, tour groups and students.
- Take part in various activities at the project.
Requirements, Guidelines & Policies
- Required to commit to a minimum of 6 weeks and do the required hours and days per week.
- Must commit to the aims and objectives of the Dolphin Project.
- Must attend training sessions at the start and daily/monthly meetings.
- Strong work ethics are required: reliable, responsible, honest, good sense of humour, dependable, physically and mentally fit.
- Age: 16+
- Required to learn all information about the Dolphin Program and the dolphins themselves once at the project.
- Must have a good knowledge of English
- Good communication skills
- Must be able to work as part of a team or individually
- No animal allergies
- Must read and agree to abide by guidelines and ethics of the project
- Must be polite and courteous to the public at all times and have a neat appearance.