Wolf Care USA Volunteer Project
Wolves are special animals and if you're one of those people with a passion for wolves - then this really is the project for you.
This amazing project in America (located in New Hampshire) gives you the opportunity to care for wolves and other canines! Live off the grid surrounded by nature and help with the day to day activities involved of running a sanctuary that takes in wolves, Coyotes and wolf-dogs!
You'll be volunteering at a sanctuary for displaced, unwanted, and un-releasable captive-bred wolves, wolf-dogs, and other related species while living off the grid surrounded by amazing scenery!
This project is in need of your help all year round! Located in the remote, amazing and beautiful White Mountains of the USA, you'll not be bored. The work with the wildlife at the centre is physically demanding and it is by no means an ’easy holiday option’ and you will be involved in animal care, food preparation, cleaning, maintenance and educating the public!
- Arrival Dates; All year round!
- Volunteer duration; 6 - 12 weeks
- Average Work hours; Varies, around 45 hours per week and 5 - 6 days per week.
- Number of Volunteers; 3 - 4
- Volunteer accommodation; Available
- Housing Type; Back to basic Trailers with kitchen and washing facilities
- Internet Access; Not available
Who Are They Looking For?
Volunteers with a love of the outdoors and a passion for wildlife is a priority. You should not be fussy, picky or hypersensitive about cleaning as this is one of the main chores. The project will not tolerate smoking, alcohol or the use of drugs. Please remember that you are a guest, therefore, respecting the rules is essential. Probably not the best place to volunteer if you are a vegetarian.
- Placement in the project and co-ordination of arrival and departure flights
- Airport Pickup
; We will be waiting for you at the airport and transfer you to your at the volunteer project.
- Accommodation; Back to basic cabins with Kitchen and washing facilities
- Meals: Groceries are provided but you will have to do the cooking with the other volunteers
- Ongoing service; If there are any problems with your volunteer project we are always there to help you and mediate between yourself and the organisation.
- Help with organising any other flights or tours you'd like to do in America
- 24/7 Emergency contact
- If there are any problems during you stay you can reach our partners 24/7 to assist you.
What's not included: Flights, Insurance
Duties - what you'll be doing
The tasks usually include watering and feeding the wolves which gets complicated in the winter months because the water and raw meat freezes and has to be defrosted. The meat needs to be cut up which also takes some extra effort when the meat is frozen. Poop picking occurs daily.
Your main tasks will mainly consist out of the following but are not limited to:
- Food preparation (lot's of meat preparation every day)
- Animal care (this includes walking some of the more social animals, cleaning enclosures, changing waters, feeding, and socialising with those animals who enjoy human interaction)
- Educating the public
- Build and maintain animal enclosures, enrichment detail etc
Requirements, Guidelines & Policies
- Volunteers must be at least 18 years of age
- Volunteers must commit for 6 weeks or more
- There is no alcohol or drug use permitted on the property
- No interaction is permitted unless by express permission of the staff
- When inside wolf enclosures you will not be able to wear shorts, earrings or other body piercings, or other jewelry that cannot be tucked in or covered
- Strong work ethics are required: reliable, responsible, honest, good sense of humour, dependable, physically and mentally fit
- No animal allergies
- Must have tetanus vaccination and health insurance (we will recommend a policy which covers you for this particular volunteer project to ensure you're covered)
- Dedication to the work, purpose, mission, and philosophy of the organisation
Other Wildlife viewing
Good opportunities to see Coyotes, Black Bears, Eagles, Owls, raccoons, skunks, deer
Itinerary & Details
- Day 1 - Arrive in the Manchester;
You will arrive in Manchester, USA where you will be met at the airport and transferred to your accommodation at the project.
- For 6 to 12 weeks you will have a great time working directly with wolves and wolf-dogs, educating the public and helping with other day to day activities.
- Your last day - you will transfer back to the airport to take a flight back home. Of course it is possible to extend your stay in and travel around; we can help you with trips and/or accommodation that you would like to arrange.
The project has transportation available and the guys go into town for shopping at least once per week. There is a trailer with a kitchen volunteers are welcome to cook and keep food in the cupboards and fridge.
Things to bring from home
- Clothes for cold temperatures as well as for summer for warm temperatures. Make these clothes are allowed to get dirty.
- Gloves, a toque and warm socks - it gets cold
- Comfortable walking shoes are essential, and you should also pack a raincoat and some sun block
(Linen and towels will be provided)
The Wolf sanctuary is located in the White Mountains of New Hampshire. It is quite isolated so please keep this in mind. If you are not comfortable with the idea of living in an remote location, this is not the right volunteer opportunity for you.